My name is Ben Hall and this year I have decided to run from my home in Manchester MD to my hometown of Fulton NY in memory of my Aunt and Uncle who both passed from Cancer. My trip will consist of running 353 miles in 14 days. I will begin my journey on September 28th 2013 and finish on October 12th 2013, one day short of my 32nd birthday. I will be running to the home where my beloved uncle resided. I will be running alone without the use of a vehicle. I am calling this run the "Crush Cancer Campaign".
I have several goals for the Crush Cancer Campaign. Mainly, I am trying to raise awareness that even though there is no sure way to prevent Cancer, there are things we can do that might reduce our chances of getting it. 1 out of 2 men and 1 out of 3 women in the US will get some form of Cancer in their lifetime. The best way to fight Cancer is to prevent it from happening by making healthy lifestyle choices.The risk of developing most types of Cancer can be reduced by changes in our lifestyle for example; by avoiding tobacco, limiting time in the sun, being physically active, staying at a healthy weight, limiting alcohol, and eating healthy. One out of every three Cancer deaths is related to diet and healthy activities. Lets challenge ourselves to lose some extra pounds, increase our physical activity, make healthy food choices, limit alcohol, and look for ways to make our communities healthier places to live, work and play.
I also have another goal of raising $5000 for the American Cancer Society. I believe in their mission, their message and their dedication to finding a cure. Please see my website at http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?px=31735247&pg=personal&fr_id=27330) and visit my ACS webpage that goes into more detail about my journey and make a donation. I sincerely appreciate all of the donations I receive. Together we can make a difference. I truly believe that.
The American Cancer Society is the largest non-governmental funder of cancer research in the United States, spending approximately $130 million each year to work to find cures. They fund both external research projects through grants and scholarships as well as conduct their own research into cancer epidemiology, surveillance, and health policy. They fund beginning researchers with cutting-edge ideas early in their careers -- 46 of whom have gone on to win the Nobel Prize, the highest accolade in scientific achievement.
This idea popped in my head around January 2013 and has become my personal quest. This challenge has, in part, come through my new found passion of running. For most of my twenties I was out of shape and well overweight. I have since lost 75 pounds and am in much better shape. Not only do I feel beter physically but more so mentally. Check out some of my before and after pictures in the photo gallery. I will be posting some more recent photos very soon as well as some videos. You can also check out my route in the "Interests" link above.
I recently ran a 50 - 50 raffle give away. I was able to raise $3720. The winner of the raffle was a friend of the family named Joe Moon, from Fulton NY and was awarded $1860. He generously donated half of his total winnings to the American Cancer Society ($930). Thank you so much Joe Moon!!!!!!!!!! The other half of the money will go towards my expenses. Any money I have left over from the run I will be donating to the American Cancer Society!
Originally I thought that I would be paying for a hotel in all of the cities I was staying in. However, many hotels along the way have since sponsored me a free night. I would like to say thank you to the following hotels and B&B's who have given me a free night stay;
1. Miike Allen - A friend sponsored me! He let me use his Scarface Jacuzzi! Thank you so much!
2.Harrisburg PA. Holiday Inn Express - I met Kinjal who has a cousin Battling Cancer. She was an amazing person to talk to and I believe I made a positive diiference in her life!
3. Lebanon PA. Holiday Inn Express - Thank you Karen for sponsoring me the room!
4. Pottsville PA. The Patridge House B&B - Rose Patridge the owner was so generous to me that I teared up leaving the Patridge House! I plan to come back and visit her! I did a newspaper article and a TV Interview there. Click on the link and its about 15 minutes into the broadcast.
5. Hazletown PA. The Hampton Inn - Gave me a bag full of free sports drinks and bars. Then at night one of the employees went out and bought me sunscreen with his own money! SO NICE!
6. Wilkes Barre PA. The Quality Inn - Wrote me a nice welcome card!
7. Wilkes Barre PA Fairfield Inn -Thank You Michael Nafus
8. Clarks Summit PA - The Ramada Inn - Thank You Michelle Badner
9. Montrose PA. The Inn at Montrose B&B - Thank You Melissa
10. Owego NY - The Glenmary Inn B&B - Thank you so much Laurie and Mike! I knew I was in good hands when I arrived to cheering and clapping! See my news story in Owego
11. Ithaca NY. Hilton - Thank you Kelly
12. Ithaca NY. Hampton Inn - Thank You Amy Magdon
13.Cortland NY, Holiday Inn Express - Thank you Theresa Wilson
14. Syracuse NY, The Candlewood Inn - Thank you Nancy Miller - Check out the story that was released from the Syracuse News Channel 9!
Under Armour has provided me with all of my running gear! I am so thankful to them and their support. They have also helped me organize 2 free workouts, open to the public, where I was able to raise over $500 in donations! Thank You U/A!
I also want to say THANK YOU to the Outback Steakhouse who has comped my meals on my journey. They have been so generous to me and I want everyone to know! While dining there recently everyone started talking about my story and people around the bar, including the bartenders gave me $55 in donations that I was able to donate to the ACS!
I have now had several articles written in the newspaper on what I am doing and I would like to say "Thank You" to the following for helping me bring awareness to Cancer prevention by living a healthier lifestyle!
1. The Valley News (NY)
2. The Palladium Times (NY)
3. The Merchandiser (MD)
4. The Carroll County Times (MD) http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/news/local/a-marathon-a-day-to-fight-cancer/article_1b810032-3110-58e6-a425-48f59a742009.html
5. The Baltimore Sun - Carroll Eagle (MD) http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/carroll/westminster/ph-ce-crush-cancer-1006-20130928,0,5966860.story
6. The Republican Herald (PA) http://republicanherald.com/news/man-running-for-cancer-awareness-stops-in-pottsville-1.1561890
7. The Times Leader (PA)
Thank you for all of your support in advance!